Genesis 4:4–5 [Berean Study Bible]
(4) The LORD looked with favor on Abel and his offering
(5) but He had no regard for Cain and his offering
I'm in the middle of conversation with a Calvinist in a Christian Forum (in our language).
First I ask that how come while both of them were totally depraved, but one of them (who is Abel) favored by God. After some back and forth respondings, to my surprise finally he said that it's because Abel is the elected one.
And he gave me Hebrew 11:4
By faith Abel offered to God a more acceptable sacrifice than Cain's. Through this he received approval as righteous, God himself giving approval to his gifts; he died, but through his faith he still speaks. (NRSV)
He give the chronology like this :
1. God elect Abel before the foundation of the world.
2. He regenerate Abel in time and give him faith, don't know when but before the offering event
3. Those 2 points above causing Abel do a correct offering.
4. Now God has a reason to look with favor on Abel + his offering
5. and now God can give him approval as righteous through his offering.
When I asked him if he has any reference from any Reformed Church's father, he said he would ask his Church about it. But so far he hasn't followed up.
My question here is the same :
Is there any reference from any Reformed Church's father indicating that Abel was regenerated before the offering ?