It is in the news that the Church of England is conducting standalone services to bless the weddings of same-sex couples. These are described as trials/experimental.
I know nothing about how such things are done in the theological world, but I know a little about how clinical trials are prepared in the biomedical world. When doing clinical trials in the UK for example there is a whole convoluted procedure that one must go through, some of the important points that must be documented and approved before the trial is authorised:
- What is the objective of the study
- What data will be collected
- How that data will meet the objective of the study
- What magnitude of effect is expected
- How likely the study is to demonstrate the effect given the true magnitude of effect
Is this sort of information published about this sort of study? Do we know precisely what question they are trying to answer, how the trial will do that and what the chance of getting a conclusive result is given various underlying realities?