I'm aware that Cessationists do not believe in spiritual gifts. However, how do they view the process of being filled with the Holy Spirit?
Tozer's How to be filled with the holy spirit defines the process as a very dramatic, sudden process. Do Cessationists also take this view, or do they view it as a more gradual process?
Appendix - List of verses on "being filled with the Holy Spirit".
- And Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the wilderness [Luke 4:1, ESV]
- 8 But as for me, I am filled with power, with the Spirit of the Lord, and with justice and might, to declare to Jacob his transgression and to Israel his sin. [Micah 3:8, ESV]
- 18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, [Ephesians 5:18, ESV]
- When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. 2 And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3 And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. [Acts 2:1-4, ESV]
- 8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, “Rulers of the people and elders, [Acts 4:8, ESV]
- 31 And when they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and continued to speak the word of God with boldness. [Acts 4:31, ESV]
- 3 Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty. 4 But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” 5 And what they said pleased the whole gathering, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch. [Acts 6:3-5, ESV]
- 54 Now when they heard these things they were enraged, and they ground their teeth at him. 55 But he, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. [Acts 7:54, ESV]
- 17 So Ananias departed and entered the house. And laying his hands on him he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus who appeared to you on the road by which you came has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” [Acts 9:17, ESV]
- 24 for he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a great many people were added to the Lord. [Acts 11:24, ESV]
- 9 But Saul, who was also called Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked intently at him [Acts 13:9, ESV]
- 52 And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit. [Acts 13:52, ESV]
- 15 for he will be great before the Lord. And he must not drink wine or strong drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb. [Luke 1:15, ESV]
- 67 And his father Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit and prophesied, saying [Luke 1:67, ESV]