I've looked through the beliefs of several denominations, but I can't seem to find one that has the same positions that I take on many Christian questions. Is there a quiz or test or even just a catalog of each denominations core beliefs that will give me a straight answer to which denomination I should look into rather than the "you're 81% Methodist" or "you're 63% Lutheran" that I get from many online surveys and quizzes?
Is there any quiz or tool that identifies the denomination which is closest to my personal beliefs?
Absolutely, but the true problem here is that there are so many denominations and subsets of those denominations.
In the State of California, a new denomination is recognized by the state almost every day!
Go To Quiz is just one example:
Which Christian denomination do you belong to?
There are hundreds of denominations within Christianity, each with their own unique views and history. Ever since the early sixteenth century and the Reformation under Luther, western Christianity has been split by theological and political views. And since then, split after split, especially amongst Protestant groups, has created a very wide spectrum which Christians occupy.
With religion still central to world politics today, find out where you belong on that spectrum. Are you a devout Catholic, proud of Rome's history? Or maybe you are a staunch Calvinist, one of God's elect. Or you could even be a Pentecostal, putting faith and your relationship with God above all else. Or maybe you are an episcopalian, choosing the middle-way between Catholicism and Protestanism. Take the test now, and find out which of nine categories you belong to!
The question on this site are as follows:
- Who do you believe decides whether or not someone achieves salvation?
- Which of the the options below do you think best sums up the legitimate sacraments?
- What are your views on church hierarchy and positions such as that of Priest, Bishop etc?
- Do you believe in the idea of a universal church (before the Second Coming), or that people should have religious freedom to pursue their beliefs as God guides them?
- Which of the following do you believe to be necessary for salvation?
- Do you believe there is any merit in infant baptism?
- Do you believe baptism conveys justifying grace, non-justifying grace, or is purely symbolic?
- What are your views on speaking in tongues?
- What do you believe to by the significance of the holy communion?
- How do you believe Satan came to be (in his evil form)?
- What are your views on the Trinity?
- What do you believe is the best way to organise Christian worshipping?
- Do you believe in secularism, and the separation of church and state?
- Do you believe that Christ's death on the cross at Calvary is the sole source of atonement?
- Do you believe in sovereign grace, and that only God can have mercy and determine who is granted salvation?
- Do you believe in the doctrine of total depravity, and the idea that men are born sinners, incapable of resisting sin by their own merit?
There are some flaws to the questionnaire because the answer can only be for certain major Christian denominations only. Subsets are not included.The denominations that this quiz refers someone to are as follows:
Apart from such online quizzes, to get down to the nitty gritty, one must research the core values and beliefs of particular denominations in order to find out where one fits in.
To say with exactitude which breach or denomination you fit in with would sound like giving personal advice, which is not allowed on this site.
I would recommend that you talk to someone of a particular denomination that interests you and with whom you are comfortable speaking with for more guidance than what we can do here.
Good luck and keep looking. You will eventually find your answer.