I ask this question in this forum as I am seeking the truth.
a. I have always been taught that faith in Jesus and his sacrifice saves me from sin.
b. I listen to a lot of Rabbi's and learnt that Sin-offering is only for Unintentional sins also no one can die for another person's sins
The Christian faith is tied to faith in Jesus and lay the foundation with the statement that Abraham was blessed because of his Faith and not the circumcision / Law.
My view is Obeying the Law is what brings us close to G-d so he can bless us as he did to Abraham.
Paul makes this assertion about faith.
- In Romans 4:3 Paul says “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”.
- Later in Romand 4:10 he establishes that since the faith came before circumcision, the circumcision was a sign/seal and faith was key.
- In Romans 4:14 Paul says that if following the law could achieve this promise then faith is worthless.
- Lastly in Romans 4:16 Paul says because Abraham was promised to be the father of many nations, we as gentiles inherit the same promise by the faith that Abraham had.
Question: Is Paul saying that Abraham saw the promised fulfilled by faith alone or by having faith and obeying the law?
Genesis 18:18 Abraham will surely become a great and powerful nation, and all nations on earth will be blessed through him. 19 For I have chosen him, so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just, so that the Lord will bring about for Abraham what he has promised him.”
Genesis 22:18 and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me.”
Genesis 26:4 I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and will give them all these lands, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, 5 because Abraham obeyed me and did everything I required of him, keeping my commands, my decrees and my instructions.”
James 2:20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.
- All above verses clearly show that faith alone does not work but you need to obey G-d