"What "nominal Christianity" really is?
What are the problems with it?
Often we understand things or have even witnessed them firsthand, but may not recognize an official term that is used by pastors or professionals to describe it.
Three common terms for this are
- cultural Christianity/ catholicism and
- MEC Christians [mother's day, Easter and Christmas - meaning they only go to church on 3 or 4 holidays a year] and
- believing but not practicing.
There are multiple passages that address this and show that it not only is against Christianity, but scripture says these people will be punished.
First let's examine some of the key passages.
- 2 Greatest commandments
- parable of the 4 soils. [3 were nominal Christians, 1 was devoted. Matt 13, Mark 4 & Luke 8.
- Pharisees [religious leaders] who look good on the outside but Christ condemned them as a pack of vipers and dead mens' bones
- people who claimed to know God but have no fruit- [ branch cut off and burned & fig tree cursed.]
- **lukewarm [nominal Christian church in Laodocea which Christ said he would vomit them out of his mouth. Original Greek word here means vomit.
This passage in Revelation 3 is one of the most important because Christ says clearly that it would be better if they were cold- non- believer. Because they were neither hot or cold- Christ said he would spew them out of his mouth
"Lukewarm Christians are those people who sit in churches and believe the message of the gospel … but are not really sold out to Jesus and not meaningfully engaged in his mission.
It is these kinds of “Christians” that Jesus is describing in the three parables in Matthew 25. The maidens [bridesmaids] (Matthew 25:1-13) consider themselves friends of the bridegroom, but they don’t live in a way that anticipates his return."
Lukewarm, or cultural Christianity or nominal Christianity does great damage to the Church and the reputation of those who are really committed to living their faith 7 days a week.
We have all heard the excuse that people don't believe in God or the Church because of hypocrites.