I recently asked myself, of which Biblical personages it is stated in the Bible, that they are or eventually will be in heaven. I presume, that I am not the first one to think about this question. So I am asking now:
Has any Christian (denomination) attempted to compile such a list?
- For answers with lists, which are created by only one person, I want to emphasize, that this person should be a well known preacher or teacher. The question is not about arbitrary individuals.
- This question asks about concrete Biblical personages not a "how to". Thus, answers of the form "All who ..." are not targeted, except if they point to people who "...".
- The lists should have Biblical basis.
I did a bit of research before asking the question, which follows here. The persons are sorted in order of the respective Bible verses cited. (All cites are from the English Standard Version (ESV).)
Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for God took him. Genesis 5:24 (ESV)
And as they still went on and talked, behold, chariots of fire and horses of fire separated the two of them. And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. 2 Kings 2:11 (ESV)
But they shall serve the Lord their God and David their king, whom I will raise up for them. Jeremiah 30:9 (ESV)
- Peter (Not 100% directly stated)
And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven [...] Matthew 16:18-19
- Abraham, Isaac, Jacob
‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not God of the dead, but of the living. Matthew 22:32 (cf. Mark 12:26-27, Luke 20:37-38)
- Moses and Elijah (Also not 100% directly stated)
And behold, two men were talking with him, Moses and Elijah, who appeared in glory [...] Luke 9:30-31 (cf. Matthew 17:2, Mark 9:4)
- Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and all the prophets
In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God but you yourselves cast out. Luke 13:28 (ESV)
- Maybe Lazarus, if a real person (and again Abraham)
and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. Luke 16:23 (ESV)
- Jesus and a criminal hanged next to Jesus
And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise.” Luke 23:43 (ESV)
- Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph (Son of Jacob), Moses, Rahab, Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel and the prophets
By faith Abel [...] Enoch [...] Noah [...] Abraham [...] Sarah [...] Abraham [...] Isaac [...] Jacob [...] Joseph [...] Moses [...] Rahab [...] Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets [...]. And all these, though commended through their faith, did not receive what was promised, since God had provided something better for us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect. Hebrews 11:4-32,39-40 (ESV)
- Moses (Again, not 100% directly stated)
But when the archangel Michael, contending with the devil, was disputing about the body of Moses, he did not presume to pronounce a blasphemous judgment, but said, "The Lord rebuke you." Jude 9 (ESV)