I know that some gay/same-sex attracted Christians who choose to follow traditional church teaching and pursue celibacy call themselves "side B" or "gay celibate" Christians.

Is there a corresponding term used by transgender Christians who, despite a desire to, believe that Christian teaching means they should not transition but should live as their assigned gender at birth?

  • Are you asking about a Christian with a transgender identity who decides not to transition socially or medically, or a Christian with gender dysphoria who still keeps a cisgender identity?
    – curiousdannii
    Sep 28, 2019 at 3:45
  • 1
    @curiousdannii- I guess either? Identity really isn't what I'm asking about, mostly the concept of not transitioning despite a desire to, inhibited by faith.
    – user33857
    Sep 28, 2019 at 11:29
  • Related question on English language site english.stackexchange.com/q/514280/192360
    – Kris
    Oct 1, 2019 at 22:19

1 Answer 1


Gender wiki uses the term non-op for persons who identify as other than birth assignment gender but do not wish to transition.

Non-op refers to those who do not wish to have gender confirmation surgery. Some non-op may wish to socially transition and/or take hormones, while others may not wish to transition at all.

There can be a number of reasons why a non-op chooses not to transition at all.

When the reason for resisting a desire to transition is because of deeply held Christian beliefs it would be appropriate to say the person is non-op for faith based reasons.

I could find no single word terminology that expresses all of that.

You must log in to answer this question.