I know that some gay/same-sex attracted Christians who choose to follow traditional church teaching and pursue celibacy call themselves "side B" or "gay celibate" Christians.

Is there a corresponding term used by transgender Christians who, despite a desire to, believe that Christian teaching means they should not transition but should live as their assigned gender at birth?

  • 6
    Who calls them “Side B”? This is the first I’ve heard of that term. Is it possible that it’s limited to a certain country, ethnic group, or subculture? That may narrow down the target audience that you are looking for this related term. – Thunderforge Sep 27 '19 at 17:42
  • I think it's exclusive to those affected by the issue; I myself heard of the term when researching different Christian beliefs on homosexuality and stumbled across some gay celibate Christian sites. It seems pretty prevalent throughout gay celibate Christian communities, however, at least in the US. – 米凯乐 Sep 27 '19 at 17:50
  • 1
    @Thunderforge Apparently this is a thing (article is 5 years old too) – Machavity Sep 27 '19 at 20:16
  • 1
    @curiousdannii- I guess either? Identity really isn't what I'm asking about, mostly the concept of not transitioning despite a desire to, inhibited by faith. – 米凯乐 Sep 28 '19 at 11:29
  • 1
    Thanks for the clarification. I've edited the question to make it a bit clearer. – curiousdannii Sep 28 '19 at 13:08

Gender wiki uses the term non-op for persons who identify as other than birth assignment gender but do not wish to transition.

Non-op refers to those who do not wish to have gender confirmation surgery. Some non-op may wish to socially transition and/or take hormones, while others may not wish to transition at all.

There can be a number of reasons why a non-op chooses not to transition at all.

When the reason for resisting a desire to transition is because of deeply held Christian beliefs it would be appropriate to say the person is non-op for faith based reasons.

I could find no single word terminology that expresses all of that.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.