I'm reminded of the story of two twins inside a mother's womb. They are discussing what things might be like on the other side of "birth". One wonders if there really is a "Mom". Neither can conceive of what life will be like, though, since neither has ever been there. They've heard that it's a painful trip, but that there's a wonderful world of adventure and excitement beyond their wildest dreams just waiting for them. After birth, they find that what they were told was, indeed, true.
There are parallels as we discuss what things could be like after "death". We know it may be a painful trip, and we read of wonderful things on the other side. Some may wonder if there really is a "God". However, none of us can really perceive what heaven will be like.
Still, we are told a few things in the Scriptures.
- We will reign with Christ (2 Timothy 2:12)
- We will have eternal pleasures (Psalm 16:11)
- We will have eternal possessions (Matthew 6:19-21)
- We will live in perfect communion and relationship with God, no longer separated (1 Thessalonians 4:17)
To be sure, the effects of the Fall will be destroyed as well.
- No more death (1 Corinthians 15:26)
- No more tears (Revelation 21:4)
- No more shame (2 Corinthians 5:1-4)
So, eternal pleasures (beauty and joy), possessions (joint heirs with Christ), prominence (a kingdom of priests, sons and daughters of the King).
Finally, "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him." 1 Corinthians 2:9