Creation will be renewed one day, freed from corruption and illumined by God’s glory. - (RSVCE) note for Rev 21:1.
New Advent says the following on the new heaven and the new earth:
- [For the the elect], after the last judgment the new heaven and the new earth will afford them manifold enjoyment ... [and] accidental beatitude will receive some increase from the union of soul and body, and from the sight of the new heaven and the earth. cf. [ Heaven | New Advent].
- Results of the General Judgment | New Advent:
With the fulfilment of the sentence pronounced in the last judgment
the relations and the dealings of the Creator with the creature find
their culmination, are explained and justified. The Divine purpose
being accomplished, the human race will, as a consequence, attain its
final destiny. The reign of Christ over mankind will be the sequel of
the General Judgment.
Please see also:
- Section VI. in the Catechism of the Catholic Church The Hope of the New Heaven and the New Earth, CCC 1042-1050.
- Pastoral Constitution on the Church in the Modern World Gaudium Et Spes, 39, Promulgated By His Holiness, Pope Paul VI On December 7, 1965:
- We do not know the time for the consummation of the earth and of humanity,1 nor do we know how all things will be
transformed. As deformed by sin, the shape of this world will pass
away;2 but we are taught that God is preparing a new
dwelling place and a new earth where justice will abide,3
and whose blessedness will answer and surpass all the longings for
peace which spring up in the human heart.4 Then, with death
overcome, the sons of God will be raised up in Christ, and what was
sown in weakness and corruption will be invested with
incorruptibility.5 Enduring with charity and its
fruits,6 all that creation7 which God made on
man's account will be unchained from the bondage of vanity.
1. Cf. Acts 1:7.
2. Cf. 1 Cor. 7:31; St. Irenaeus, Adversus haereses, V, 36, PG,
3. Cf. 2 Cor. 5:2; 2 Pet. 3:13.
4. Cf. 1 Cor. 2:9; Apoc. 21:4-5.
5. Cf. 1 Cor. 15:42 and 53.
6. Cf. 1 Cor. 13:8; 3:14.
7. Cf. Rom. 8:19-21.