Assume a young adult is close to Confirmation in the Roman Catholic church, but, while still a child, never finishes the process because the family moves away from the parish. What would be the process for this person to become a godparent at this point in the Roman Catholic church? Would it matter if the person in question is the sibling of one of the birth parents?

  • 1
    Although the Stacks Exchange cannot really give personal advice, I think this question can be generalized into "Can an unconfirmed person in the Catholic church be a godparent?"
    – Double U
    Dec 18, 2013 at 2:50
  • @Anonymous Yes, it seems the OP is looking for the Catholic answer to: "What must a young adult do to become a Godparent in the Catholic Church. If you don't mind, Kate, I am going to edit this. If you don't like it you can revert back to the original or edit it to something else.
    – user3961
    Dec 18, 2013 at 2:56
  • @fredsbend It's been edited.
    – Double U
    Dec 18, 2013 at 2:57
  • @Anonymous I edited it too. My edit is the one that took. Sorry if I messed this up for someone else.
    – user3961
    Dec 18, 2013 at 3:00

1 Answer 1


According to the Catholic Church's Code of Canon Law - Canon 874 §1. states that in order for someone to be permitted to take on the function of sponsor (godparent) a person must:

1/ be designated by the one to be baptized, by the parents or the person who takes their place, or in their absence by the pastor or minister and have the aptitude and intention of fulfilling this function;

2/ have completed the sixteenth year of age, unless the diocesan bishop has established another age, or the pastor or minister has granted an exception for a just cause;

3/ be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist and who leads a life of faith in keeping with the function to be taken on;

4/ not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared;

5/ not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized.

§2. A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community is not to participate except together with a Catholic sponsor and then only as a witness of the baptism.

In conclusion - to address your question more specifically, it must be clearly noted that:

(A) The godparent must definitely be confirmed in the faith, both sacramentally as well as proactively.

(B) The godparent must be over the age of 16 unless given a special dispensation by the local bishop.

If this question actually pertains to you or someone you know, my advice would be to contact your local priest...he should have all the answers to questions pertaining to sacraments.

  • 2
    Good answer, but you might want to spell it out that "yes, you do need to be confirmed" if I'm reading this correctly. I had to read it twice to find that little part.
    – Peter Turner
    Dec 18, 2013 at 4:40
  • 2
    Not only that, but they have to be sixteen, and "a young person close to Confirmation" may not be. (It's not clear in the question whether age is material.) Dec 18, 2013 at 6:59

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .