Christianity Stack Exchange is for committed Christians, experts in Christianity and those interested in learning more. You may ask questions about any area of Christianity. Your own beliefs do not not preclude you from asking questions, but all questions must be directly related to Christianity.
You've come to the right place if you have questions about:
- the history of denominations (such as Roman Catholic, Anglican, Church of Christ, or Latter Day Saints) and movements (such as Pentecostalism, Creationism, or Calvinism)
- understanding the Bible from the perspective of a specific viewpoint (like those listed above)
- explanations of the beliefs and practices of a denomination or movement
the biblical basis for a belief or practice
However, there are questions that are not constructive for the format of this site. These include questions asking for:
- a survey of all Christian views on a particular subject
- what the Bible says about a subject (unless you specify a doctrine/tradition)
- advice on how to handle certain situations (pastoral advice questions)
- open-ended is "X" a sin questions, asking whether a certain action or belief is sinful (unless focused on the teaching of a specific group)
- "Truth" questions that do not focus on what a specific group of people teaches
whether some group or person is "Christian"
These types of questions have too many possible answers (many of which will be pure opinion). Because of that, these types of questions are not constructive for this site and will be closed as such.
See also: What about my other questions?
Who are considered Christians here?
As far as the scope of this site is concerned, any group that identifies themselves as Christian are to be considered on-topic and allowed to label themselves Christian. Answers are to be judged based on how well they represent the specific view or tradition they claim to speak for, not whether or not you agree with that position. Good answers thoroughly defend a specific viewpoint or accurately describe a broad range of views. Bad answers wrongly represent the view they claim to speak for, are offensive in their demeanor towards other views, or don't stick to answering the question.
Please see the meta post Christianity.SE vs. Survivor for further discussion of this issue.
This site is not a church! It is neither sanctioned by any church nor sponsored as a ministry site. It is a secular site for asking and answering questions about Christianity. If you are more inclined to resent rather than celebrate the differences between different Christian traditions, then this may not be the site for you.
Please see the meta post Brothers, we are not Christians!! for further discussion of this issue.
Can I use comments to discuss the topic of a post?
Comments are useful for getting clarifications, but extended discussions detract from the question and its answers. If you'd like to discuss anything related to Christianity, please use our chat room. See this meta post for more on comments.
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Christianity Stack Exchange, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area 51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.
For more help, see "What types of questions should I avoid asking?"