I get that often. I meet a lot of people who have some sort of troubles in their life and they show interest in reading the Bible to heal themselves.
However, the majority of these people just approach the Bible in the same way they approach an "ATM" machine, and they think that "if God exists" they should just "ask for a matter" and "God should provide in a button press".
How to explain to those friends that:
- Faith is a lifestyle; it requires a one on one relationship with God
- Faith is by giving your life to God and trust His way of guiding you even though you cannot always understand how God thinks, and His ways.
- Faith is not only by asking, but also by giving to others and not being selfish
- God WILL provide at the right time, the right moment IF what they are asking for is actually what God thinks is beneficial for them.
How to help people to get out of the materialistic ways of approaching something pure and divine like the Bible and understand there will be easy and hard days through faith?
Even though I do not agree on all (more details at the end of the update) that was mentioned in the accepted answer, but the solution David Stratton gave which is:
All we can do with those who have been taught the modern gospel is to take them to Scripture and tell them the truth.
Is in my opinion the correct way to do it. Show the scripture then explain it in a spiritual way so that they stop thinking with a materialistic brain.
What were the points in his answer that i had some comments about?
- I do believe God is love "God is love, come to Him and He will fix your broken marriage, drug problem, financial woes, etc.) " If you build a relationship with him and give him your life and all the steps you make. The Bible says:
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
God is happiness, religion should not be only a feeling of guilt that we are sinners who deserve hell. of course we are sinners, but that is why Jesus died on the cross to forgive all our sins, and thus we may live and be happy and prosper:
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. "
So God does want us to enjoy and help others enjoy life BUT we need a one on one relationship; i.e, every step that we do we must tell him "I put it between your hands and you decide what should happen"