This article makes the claim, "Noah's Ark Has Been Found. Why Are They Keeping Us In The Dark?"
Of what value is this claim in terms of affirming the account in Genesis 7?
migration rejected from hermeneutics.stackexchange.com Sep 7 '15 at 21:42
This question came from our site for professors, theologians, and those interested in exegetical analysis of biblical texts. Votes, comments, and answers are locked due to the question being closed here, but it may be eligible for editing and reopening on the site where it originated.
closed as primarily opinion-based by curiousdannii, bruised reed, Nathaniel, Mr. Bultitude, El'endia Starman♦ Sep 7 '15 at 21:42
Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.
This claim is a most very important one as it may very well be physical proof that Noah’s Ark exists and its remains can still be seen to this very day.
This structure in the article – also known as the Durupinar Site (after the Turkish Army Captain Ilhan Durupinar whom spotted it on an aerial survey map) bears perfect resemblance to the remains of an old ship – which is what attracted attention to the structure. http://postimg.org/image/4559jr02p/ - Ark comparisons
This boat structure here, just next to Uzengili village in Eastern Turkey, is located in what used to be a part of a civilization called Uratu where Moses tells us the ark landed. The English translation of ‘Urartu’ is ‘Ararat’.
Genesis 8:4 – “and on the seventeenth day of the seventh month the ark came to rest on the mountains of Ararat”
“Mentioned in Assyrian sources from the early 13th century BCE, Urartu enjoyed considerable political power in the Middle East in the 9th and 8th century’s BCE. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/619349/Urartu
Moses wrote the book of Genesis circa 1,300 BC. Moses used the civilization of Urartu – or Ararat as a guide to the Arks landing location because the Urartian’s would have been establishing themselves in just that area (in what is nowadays Eastern Turkey), during the time the book of Genesis was composed. So people of the time reading it would know exactly where he was talking about.
This structure is virtually the EXACT same measurements that Moses tells us the ark was in Genesis: Genesis 6:15 – “This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be three hundred cubits long, fifty cubits wide and thirty cubits high.”
The Royal cubit being used here is well known as being 20.62 inches, examples of cubit rods can be seen in British museum and Louvre, France. http://www.britannica.com/science/measurement-system
• Ark Length = 300 Cubits (157.14 meters) (515.58 feet)
• Ark Height = 30 Cubits (15.71 meters) (51.56 feet)
• Ark Width = 50 cubits (26.19 meters) (85.93 feet)
http://postimg.org/image/6d12zg3h3/ - ark length
http://postimg.org/image/z0zdny7ep/ - ark width
The article you mention covers a lot of the facts really but here is a brief rundown:
• Geophysical Surveys (Hudson, US) loaned their 'SIR' system or 'Sub-surface Interface Radar' to researchers in 1985 and they took it to the site with a technician and had it scanned. On the documentary 'Discovered: Noah's Ark?!' Joe Rosetta - Vice President of the company - quotes after analysing the technical readout: “This Data does not represent natural geology, It’s a man-made structure. These reflections are occurring very periodic, too periodic to be a random, natural type interface."
• Whites Electronics (Oregon, US - supplier of some of the world’s best metal detectors), loaned out 2 of its best Ferro-magnetic metal detectors to researchers in 1984 and they revealed 13 lines of consistent metal readings length wise along the object. Samples of the metal that was giving the readings (which clearly resemble fossilised rivets) were taken to:
• Galbraith Laboratories (Tennessee, US) - who tested the samples and revealed that iron mixed with pure aluminium and small amounts of pure titanium were present in what can only be an artificial alloy - as neither pure aluminium nor pure titanium exist in nature - they have to be artificially refined from out of their ore compounds.
• It has subsequently been backed up by the Turks' as a nation who on June 20th, 1987, officially dedicated this area as 'Noah's Ark National Park' in a ceremony attended by Governor Mr. Sevket Ekinci - Governor of the Agri Province, Mr. Cengiz Gokce - Head Official of the District of Dogubeyazit, Mr. Osman Baydar - President of the Municipality, of which the actual ceremony can be seen on documentary 'Discovered: Noah's Ark?!'.
• It was also confirmed by Turkeys Leading and world famous archaeologist - Dr. Ekrem Akurgal - who quotes on the same Documentary: "It is indeed the remains of a ship, at any rate'.
Here is a bit of further information not covered in the article:
A magnetometer was used to scan the site in 2010. Magnetometers work by detecting distortions of the earth’s natural magnetic field caused by large amounts of pure metals on or near the surface. The small device is often dragged behind boats or hung off the back of an airplane and they are used to detect ship and plane wrecks. The technicians will be looking for concentrated areas of metal.
In a typical ship design, the concentration of metals is higher near the bow (front) of a ship as the structure comes to a point.
The magnetometer scan clearly reveals an unnatural concentration of metal (the highest recordable on the scale) at the bow of this ship structure. It also reveals that over the thousands of years it has been sitting there, metal particles have seeped out into the surrounding area, being carried by water and mud. All the actual metallic deposits in the area are directly connected to the Ark.
The chances of a perfect boat formation appearing in the mountains of Ararat and being the exact size as Noah’s Ark is said to be in the bible, are a million to one at least.
Also the metal test results performed on two successive occasions from different samples, on different years, submitted by different people affirm that there are advanced metal present in this structure! Both Aluminium and Titanium in their pure form are present.
http://postimg.org/image/rzhst4dfn/ - 2001 test results
These elements do not exist in pure form in nature as they are always found bonded with other elements and have to be extracted using special processes.
The extraction of aluminium from its ore in any significant quantity requires ELECTRICITY.
This is called electrolysis; when electricity is passed through a substance in order to break the atomic bonds between the elements it is composed of.
It is most likely that Noah and the people of his day knew about electricity. Some of the knowledge of the pre-flood world was preserved through Noah and his family who must have been exceptionally skilled people in order to construct a wooden boat of such massive size capable of handling severe conditions.
In Noah’s time, the people may well have been experiencing a technological revolution which was probably comparable to the one happening in our day.
Ecclesiastes 1:9 - "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun."
Jesus tells us that the end times will be just like the times of Noah all over again, we have not yet reached that time (although we are more than likely close) so whatever was happening in Noah’s time was probably similar to what we are experiencing today as far as rapid population growth and scientific discoveries go.
Daniel 12:4 - "But you, Daniel, close up these words and seal the book until the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro and knowledge shall increase.”
Matthew 24:37 - "As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man." (Also Luke 17:26).